Volunteers and Mentors
Big Picture is always looking for mentors and volunteers to help challenge students and expand their education beyond the classroom.
Mentors give students the opportunity to learn from an adult with a similar interest. Twice a week students spend their days learning through internships. Through genuine relationships, mentors teach a work ethic and model what it means to be an adult member of our community.
Guest Speakers give students the opportunity to learn from different community members about issues and topics that may not be present in the classroom. To learn more about volunteer and guest speaker opportunities, contact our program coordinator, Kevin Downey (email@example.com).
Do you want to help high school students realize their dreams? Do you want to create a radically different model for school that is centered around students as unique individuals? If so, consider applying for our VISTA position through the Vermont Youth Tomorrow (VYT) AmeriCorps VISTA Program.
We are looking for a VISTA who can serve in the following capacities:
- Manage the Learning Through Internship (LTI) component of students’ education – recruiting internships partners, communicating with internship mentors for evaluations, conducting in-progress site visits, communicating with Big Picture Advisors about student performance.
- Manage website and social media (Facebook, Twitter) accounts for Big Picture South Burlington.
- Develop and assist with Orientation Term (Sept) and Service-Learning Term (May) courses
- Assist students with their digital portfolios to document their learning throughout the term
- Develop individualized curriculum for students around their interests
- Assist the Big Picture Program Coordinator with other administrative duties as needed.
To apply, send cover letter, resume and 3 references to Kevin Downey, our Program Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) and apply at the AmeriCorps VISTA website.
Benefits of Americorps Service:
VISTAs serve for a variety of reasons, from wanting to make the world a better place to discovering a life-changing adventure. For one year, you will be doing everything you can to create and expand programs that ultimately bring individuals and communities out of poverty. As a VISTA, you’ll gain:
- Memorable experiences
- Highly developed skills
- New friends
- A sense of belonging to a community
- Feeling of waking up every morning to help the world
- A new challenge
Recent graduates gain the kind of real-world experience they can’t find in a typical entry-level job. Experienced adults apply their skills and knowledge to serious social problems and discover previously untapped strengths. In return for a year of full-time service, you’ll also receive other benefits as well:
- A Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or post-service stipend
- Modest living allowance
- Healthcare benefits while in service
- Childcare assistance while in service
- Student loan forbearance or deferment while in service
- One year of noncompetitive status for a federal government job
- Access to the network of VISTA & VISTA alumni (170,000 strong)